Stray Fawn Community

Autism.

Raybeams

So like, if this can stay respectful topic that would be great. :)

Autism. Yeah. If you don’t know what autism is, check out this information from the NHS. —> https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/autism/ 

I just think it might be a nice thing to share experiences about, for example if you have autism or know someone with autism. I’m not autistic but my close family members and close friends for 5+ years are autistic. It’s not all that rare, and ranges in severity, my brother was diagnosed before he was 5, whilst my friend being diagnosed a couple years ago. If you want to vent about your struggles as a non-neurotypical (sorry if I’m still using it wrong.) or just talk about it. I’m all ears. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Renio2490 said:

I don't want to sound mean or rude about autism with anything I say.

Pancakes

As long as your not trying to be mean/rude or are very insensitive, I reckon it’s fine to comment. :)

Pancakes are low-key tasty though. Had one today, then was craving more.

(the correct term is non-neurotypical FYI :) ) 

I'm Autistic! ^^

Specifically, my form of autism alters my hearing, catching/writing skills (motor co-ordination) and senses (specifically smell and touch). 

For example- imagine you are catching or throwing a ball. Now make this ball go three times faster, and you also don't know where it's coming from; that's about as bad as it might get, haha! ^^' 

My hearing is sharper, but I also find it harder to understand things if they are said to me. Thus, I prefer to read things. 

Some smells or textures can actually cause me mental harm.

~Gross Alert~

Edit: Another thing, which (although not part of my Autism, is linked!) is potentially Pica- which is defined as 'an eating disorder that involves eating items that are not typically thought of as food and that do not contain significant nutritional value'. I, for one, have a habit of eating blood. 

Edited by angelheart
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Fire Beans said:

As long as your not trying to be mean/rude or are very insensitive, I reckon it’s fine to comment. :)

Pancakes are low-key tasty though. Had one today, then was craving more.

Might as well take the pancakes elsewhere, as they shouldn't be here.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, angelheart said:

(the correct term is non-neurotypical FYI :) ) 

I'm Autistic! ^^

Specifically, my form of autism alters my hearing, catching/writing skills (motor co-ordination) and senses (specifically smell and touch). 

For example- imagine you are catching or throwing a ball. Now make this ball go three times faster, and you also don't know where it's coming from; that's about as bad as it might get, haha! ^^' 

My hearing is sharper, but I also find it harder to understand things if they are said to me. Thus, I prefer to read things. 

Some smells or textures can actually cause me mental harm.

Ah, thanks for correcting me!

My brother has motor co-ordination difficulties, luckily his school has really helped him progressed; when he was 5 his teacher gave him a tray of beads I believe and a peg, and he was rewarded for being dexterous. I think he has improved but can still be a little shaky at times.

When you say you find it harder to understand things, do you mean like processing it? I often see my friend struggling to process conversations and my brother has been known to loudly repeat conversations whilst in the bathroom alone.

I’ve heard about the smells and textures thing, sounds pretty awful.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, angelheart said:

~Gross Alert~

Edit: Another thing, which (although not part of my Autism, is linked!) is potentially Pica- which is defined as 'an eating disorder that involves eating items that are not typically thought of as food and that do not contain significant nutritional value'. I, for one, have a habit of eating blood. 

Wow, the more you mention these things, the more I can recognise them in people I know. :)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Fire Beans said:

Ah, thanks for correcting me!

My brother has motor co-ordination difficulties, luckily his school has really helped him progressed; when he was 5 his teacher gave him a tray of beads I believe and a peg, and he was rewarded for being dexterous. I think he has improved but can still be a little shaky at times.

When you say you find it harder to understand things, do you mean like processing it? I often see my friend struggling to process conversations and my brother has been known to loudly repeat conversations whilst in the bathroom alone.

I’ve heard about the smells and textures thing, sounds pretty awful.

Yes, it can come in a few forms! Your brother has Echolalia, which is a form of it. 

For some people (me included), imagine like somebody is a sped up video. We see you speaking, and then we hear you, except the audio is faster. Thus, we might take a few seconds to 'decode' it. Sometimes, we miss words altogether, and might ask you to repeat whatever you're saying. ^^ 

(However, you should never say it in a slower voice unless asked- some people do it to make fun of us :/ )

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, angelheart said:

Yes, it can come in a few forms! Your brother has Echolalia, which is a form of it. 

For some people (me included), imagine like somebody is a sped up video. We see you speaking, and then we hear you, except the audio is faster. Thus, we might take a few seconds to 'decode' it. Sometimes, we miss words altogether, and might ask you to repeat whatever you're saying. ^^ 

Huh, that’s so interesting! Honestly I could write for days about people that mock autism/other disabilities, it really gets to me.

• Like 1

If you think about it, 'Autism' is like.. an attic. 

The attic has a lot of boxes in it, and those boxes have things inside of them, such as toys. 

For example: Autism (attic) - Speech Impediments (Box) - Echolalia, Stuttering, and other things (Toys).

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, angelheart said:

~Gross Alert~

I HAVE THAT (I think... I never know anything)

I EAT TONS OF PAPER

4 minutes ago, angelheart said:

If you think about it, 'Autism' is like.. an attic. 

The attic has a lot of boxes in it, and those boxes have things inside of them, such as toys. 

For example: Autism (attic) - Speech Impediments (Box) - Echolalia, Stuttering, and other things (Toys).

I don't have an attic...

OH WHAT I DO

You need a ladder to get in there though.

Just now, Fire Beans said:

Hm, that’s a cool way to put it- some attics are messier/cleaner than others. :)

Correct! Ableist people (people who discriminate against people with disabilities or disorders) tend to use 'low' and 'high' for how messy or clean somebody's 'attic' is. 

However, we are all the same level- we all have the same attic, it's just how a person reacts to how messy it is that denotes how they are 'classified'. 

For example, my attic would be pretty clean compared to others, because I tend to show stimming (which is what we do when we have a build up of emotions, such as stomping on the ground or fiddling with something that we are holding) outwards-ly. However, because my stimming is subtle, I would be classified as 'high-functioning'. 

However, somebody with an even cleaner attic might be called 'low-functioning' because their stimming might be more 'flashy' (such as audio stimming, like humming or yelling lyrics). 

2 minutes ago, angelheart said:

Correct! Ableist people (people who discriminate against people with disabilities or disorders) tend to use 'low' and 'high' for how messy or clean somebody's 'attic' is. 

However, we are all the same level- we all have the same attic, it's just how a person reacts to how messy it is that denotes how they are 'classified'. 

For example, my attic would be pretty clean compared to others, because I tend to show stimming (which is what we do when we have a build up of emotions, such as stomping on the ground or fiddling with something that we are holding) outwards-ly. However, because my stimming is subtle, I would be classified as 'high-functioning'. 

However, somebody with an even cleaner attic might be called 'low-functioning' because their stimming might be more 'flashy' (such as audio stimming, like humming or yelling lyrics). 

I was looking for word to describe this and I think stimming would be it. A guy in my class who is very honest about the fact he is autistic often ‘stims’ (right word usage?) in class by shaking his hands, legs and head rapidly.. Some idiots in my class think this is funny and looks like- don’t know a pg way to put it, so just fill in the gap I suppose. And it’s horrible that they compare stimming to that and make fun of him.

• Like 1

Just now, Fire Beans said:

I was looking for word to describe this and I think stimming would be it. A guy in my class who is very honest about the fact he is autistic often ‘stims’ (right word usage?) in class by shaking his hands, legs and head rapidly.. Some idiots in my class think this is funny and looks like- don’t know a pg way to put it, so just fill in the gap I suppose. And it’s horrible that they compare stimming to that and make fun of him.

Yes, that's the right word usage. :)

Right? Some idiots don't actually know that if we don't stim, we can actually become more likely to die??

Stimming is like a tap! A build up of chemicals in our brain cause us to stim (turning the tap on and letting water out), and keeping the chemicals stuck in can cause the brain to quite literally eat itself (the tap rusting from not being used). 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, angelheart said:

Yes, that's the right word usage. :)

Right? Some idiots don't actually know that if we don't stim, we can actually become more likely to die??

Stimming is like a tap! A build up of chemicals in our brain cause us to stim (turning the tap on and letting water out), and keeping the chemicals stuck in can cause the brain to quite literally eat itself (the tap rusting from not being used). 

Your really good at metaphor-ing, lol. I wish the world was less judgemental, I think it would put a lot of people with disorders/disabilities (and people without) at ease to know that their every move wouldn’t  be used against them, as it sometimes seems so today.

• Like 1

I don't know much about autism. I did read a couple of chapters from a  book my mom was reading. It was a book written autistic people telling about their experiences.

Some boys in my class call eachother autistic. Seems pretty offensive to actually autistic people

5 minutes ago, Lilytuft said:

I don't know much about autism. I did read a couple of chapters from a  book my mom was reading. It was a book written autistic people telling about their experiences.

Some boys in my class call eachother autistic. Seems pretty offensive to actually autistic people

A good book on autism ( it might of been of been Asperger’s syndrome actually) is a ‘The Dead Dog In The Nightime.’ Or something like that. It was a good and easy to understand read, and I found it quite insightful .

You don’t want to hear what boys in my class call each other, it’s extremely disrespectful and I am not comfortable saying it.