Stray Fawn Community

How long can you survive on Frost Lands?

PincerClaw420

One day, while I sat on my computer, looking at the monitor, I wondered, "Am I a masochist?". To answer this, I decided to go to the "Killer Islands" section when making a new savefile, and clicked on "Frost Lands". Deadly Hills and Home Island are generally medium/hard difficulty, as DH gives you time to adapt to the rampage of murderous bear hyena hybrids, while HI's only real difficulty is the fact there's another tribe on the island. Which leaves only Deep Jungle and Frost Lands.

Thus spawned 50 different Frost Lands save files (I don't wanna touch DJ lol), which usually resulted in me leaving the island with one or two prehistoric genes and scarred, traumatized and starved nichelings.

So I was just wondering, how long have you fellers survived on FL? (Or any other killer/hard island)

I think I managed to survive 9 days on Frost Lands. Only because I started breeding right away, they died of starvation while running from a balance bear and sacrificing their children in the process... and it was kind of tragic.

I kind of forgot how difficult Deep Jungle is, I haven't played in awhile and I'm getting back into it, but I think I had a thriving pack there at some point. Or maybe I'm just thinking I did to hide the fact I probably died within a few turns on multiple occasions.

Deadly Hills is a bit easier in my experience and it seems in yours too, if you are able to get poison fangs on your gatherers and strength on your other nichelings, usually you can thrive. But as a general rule your pack is nomadic due to the fact you are constantly changing locations to avoid packs of killer bearyena.

Yeah. I haven't been on these forums in awhile. But I do want to try and start a pack on some more difficult islands. Including Burning Savannah. I don't get why it is marked as a medium level island. It is really difficult. Especially when it comes to food, and constantly moving around "no mans land" because the grass-fires ruin your entire base camp. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, WishLeopard said:

I think I managed to survive 9 days on Frost Lands. Only because I started breeding right away, they died of starvation while running from a balance bear and sacrificing their children in the process... and it was kind of tragic.

Oof, only 9 days? One of the tips I could give is to not immediately settle down, but to instead set up the starter's mutation menus and have them collect food. Using this strategy I actually got a decent food supply, enough to invite in an extremely good wanderer and have a few kiddos. I would describe the rest of what happened in that save, but it's extremely long and I haven't actually went extinct. (Would probably have to make a seperate topic for that lol)

Can't really comment on DJ, and I probably wouldn't want to since the apes would definetly make my brain hurt (They only drop 20 meat, they live 100 days and are immune to poison!)

51 minutes ago, WishLeopard said:

Deadly Hills is a bit easier in my experience and it seems in yours too, if you are able to get poison fangs on your gatherers and strength on your other nichelings, usually you can thrive. But as a general rule your pack is nomadic due to the fact you are constantly changing locations to avoid packs of killer bearyena.

Platypus beak really saved me on DH, instead of having to risk nichelings to collect berries I just had to find tiles to dig up. There was also a permanest on the little island I was staying on, so no need to risk them for nesting material either. After having a few children with a friendly bearyena, the only thing standing in my way was rocks! Even killer bearyenas couldn't really do anything as there were a ton of healing fruits on the island (really only one but still).

A quick tip: if you want a specific head gene (say poison fangs) but it's in a nicheling's inactives, put the bearyena head (if you have unlocked it) in their mate's mutation menu and you can now get that head gene you need. Haven't used this one yet, but it probably works well (I hope).

1 hour ago, WishLeopard said:

Yeah. I haven't been on these forums in awhile. But I do want to try and start a pack on some more difficult islands. Including Burning Savannah. I don't get why it is marked as a medium level island. It is really difficult. Especially when it comes to food, and constantly moving around "no mans land" because the grass-fires ruin your entire base camp. 

BS (for burning savannah), from what I've seen, seems extremely boring and just feels like a food drainer imo. I've never started a tribe there, so I don't have much else to say. If you do start a pack there, good luck! (Hope this helped.

• Like 1
  • Paw up 1

1 hour ago, WishLeopard said:

I kind of forgot how difficult Deep Jungle is, I haven't played in awhile and I'm getting back into it, but I think I had a thriving pack there at some point. Or maybe I'm just thinking I did to hide the fact I probably died within a few turns on multiple occasions.

Deadly hills isn't a challenge at all.

sure it is at first, but I usually find a friendly bearyena within the first few days.

3 minutes ago, GlacyGlace said:

Which one should i do btw?

Both.

14 minutes ago, Lisa The Dragonwolf said:

How did you even survive 39 days?

Good wanderers, starters and rogue males, along with extremely friendly balance bears and ramfox packs. The bluebirds and starvation were the only really annoying part of playing.

• Like 1
  • Paw up 1

I had a phase during which I exclusively played on FL, tribe after tribe after tribe...

Can't really remember my best but I do think it was at least around 50 days.

Meanwhile I never play DJ, simply because I never find food and there's always stuff in the way.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Sparklepop said:

I tried this once and got only twenty days. :(

This was normal sandbox settings, by the way.

2-digit numbers?! Do you remember how you managed to survive that long?

I mostly just looked for food sources and bred when my creatures got low on life.

My starters were a mossy-brown anteater and a big-bodied pinkish-brown guy. I think my male starter had something to do with it and the fact I found hotsprings to make sure my creatures didn't freeze to death. Eventually, the spiky-bodied kid of my starters froze to death and I couldn't do much about it (no console was used). It was more or less over by day 16.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1