Stray Fawn Community

Even out male/female ratio

Jojo

After some very unlucky events in some of may safe files with my female/ male ratio and posting it in the bugs, the amazing Philo suggested that I should make this an official suggestion as it is more of a bad luck thing than a bug.

Well, let's have some sort of feature that makes sure the male/ female ratio is more even. Like have a code thingy run when you skip the day and babies are born, it 'sees' how many Nichelings of one or the other gender you have and if it is a big gap then the chance to have a baby of the sex you need would be bigger. A lot bigger :)

• Like 3

8 replies to this post

Maybe it could be a toggle-able thing? Because there's the Harem achievement for having one animal of one sex and lots of the opposite sex, and having this in effect all the time would exponentially increase the difficulty of getting that achievement.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Leaellynasaura said:

Maybe it could be a toggle-able thing? Because there's the Harem achievement for having one animal of one sex and lots of the opposite sex, and having this in effect all the time would exponentially increase the difficulty of getting that achievement.

Oh yeah...
Maybe when you start a game there could be an option for even-ratio or random-ratio. Like a little radio button thing where it explains what it is if you hover over it or click a question mark icon, like: "Even-ratio generates an mostly-even amount of male and female nichelings, while random-ratio allows you to get more of one or the other."
or you could kill all your other males/females to get the achievement

8 hours ago, Leaellynasaura said:

You could just banish the creatures to get the achievement, but I get your point :D

Maybe have it do something like the thing i said in discussion & feedback.

the idea is have it looking at either the whole tribe or the generation, to see what is lacking and what not.

for both genders and immunity genes

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IncarnationOfBoredom said:

I know where you're coming from, but it is highly unrealistic... And this game is about realistic genetics, after all. Maybe instead of changing the gender of babies born it just sends more male or female wanderers your direction depending on the tribe size and the gender ratio?

True, but I feel like that might make you too reliant on wanderers without actually addressing the problem (if that makes sense). For example, wanderers likely have vastly different genes from what is currently in your tribe. If you kept constantly running into the "I ran out of males/females" problem then it will be harder to achieve breeding goals when you have to pause every now and then to breed out the undesirable genes from all the wanderers you're bringing in. (Ex: you find another male for you're female-only tribe...and no males are born to replace him when he dies) Of course, if you're desperate then there's really no room to complain that said savior wanderer is derpy and deformed or ill-equipped for the climate when you're on the brink of extinction and losing your island progress.

I feel like there should be some line between realism and frustrating game mechanics though, where just because it's realistic doesn't mean it makes the game more enjoyable or benefits it. Not to say that this small problem makes the game unplayable and terrible or anything, but it's an annoyance that I keep running into.
(sorry if this sounds mean btw, it isn't intended to be)

• Like 4

If combined with the suggestion about having options to adjust sandbox mode and how it is played, sure. Personally, however, I would turn it off. Afaik, no so thing exists irl, and skewed male/female ratios are a real problem in some cases, at least for humans. Sometimes when you flip a coin 8 times, you get 6 heads just because chance is weird that way. I like it that way, and it doesn't hurt gameplay at all from my perspective, but I can see why it would bother others. 

• Like 2