Stray Fawn Community

Fur Types

Fallensnows

I have a idea. We all know nichelings have normal, smooth animal fur. But what about having fur of feathers or scales? Wouldn't that be cool? There could also be fur lengths. I've been wanting this for a long time now. It would probably require doing every gene over in each fur type, so it's probably not possible. But hey, it would be amazing! 

• Like 5

5 replies to this post

I like the long or short hair option and think feathers will be added with flying niches unless they are bats. Also maybe scales could be added but only works with certain genes so the devs don't have to rewrite a bunch of code but not sure.

What about mange for a sick niche or wild animal that is sick?

• Like 1

Yeah, I think the best way to add this would be another gene slot for fur, independent from the body one so the fur we had currently would be the normal fur and then we could have thick fur (best paired with big body), long fur etc.

• Like 3

This is a really great idea! Particularly the different types of coverings such as fur, feathers, and scales. I feel like they would work well as just different body types though since they a “Toxic body + Feathers” creature doesn’t make a mess out of traits and such. That doesn’t mean there can’t be something like a “Big feathered body” or a “Lean feathered body” that can be more modified to the traits that it has without being a big mess. As for fur lengths, I feel like that’s already pretty well covered by the different bodies from the big body to the lean body.

• Like 1

Here it is: Scales thread

Philo proposed to implement it as “skin/hair type” gene. Sounds like the body gene would need to be tweaked as well then so it makes sense together. 

In my opinion, body should just affect the shape while hide/skin modifies it.

So far we have fur, feathers, scales, no hair.

How about feathers help with flying (further?), fur gives cold protection, no hair heat resistance, scales give defense. There might be a different type of scales that help with swimming. 

Maybe remove armored body and toxic body and make it into skin types.