Stray Fawn Community

ask me about animal stuff

Sky

so like Angel's threads but you can ask me about anything related to animals, except anything to do with evolution because I don't do evolution. So if you want to know something but don't want to scour-cream the internet, look no further, I shall do the scour-creaming for you. 

• Like 2

Just now, Skysplash8 said:

so like Angel's threads but you can ask me about anything related to animals. So if you want to know something but don't want to scour-cream the internet, look no further, I shall do the scour-creaming for you.

How did vultures evolve?

Just now, spacecat at random said:

Ah, no. Daddy long legs scatter when they see you. These will fly into your face at full speed, so you'll feel the difference.

Why does the wikipedia page call them daddy long legs then?

Guest SilverTheNicheling
5 minutes ago, spacecat at random said:

How are these not extinct.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crane_fly

Seriously. What even...

Oh god they’re disgusting I swear... I always mistake them for a mosquito, thankfully they don’t feed on blood and just breed normally..

1 hour ago, spacecat at random said:

How are these not extinct.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crane_fly

Seriously. What even...

well, for starters, most adult mosquito hawks (that's what my family calls them) have such short lifespans that they don't eat, so food is never a problem. Second, females mate as soon as they are adults, so if they lived to adulthood, they're probably gonna have a chance to reproduce.

• Eek! 1

1 hour ago, Aye-Aye Captain! said:

Why are Craneflies called daddy long legs, when they're not?

these and these are also known as daddy long legs. The mosquito hawk was probably originally called a daddy long legs too because they have quite long legs, and may look similar to the arachnid species of the same nickname from afar.

• Like 1

Guest SilverTheNicheling

ASK MEEEEE

Do all cats not mate for life? Or are there some that do? I’m curious..

Guest SilverTheNicheling
Just now, Aye-Aye Captain! said:

Could you tell me more about aye ayes?

Omg I still love that name.. aye-aye! It’s adorable..

Guest SilverTheNicheling
1 minute ago, Skysplash8 said:

Domestic cats, wild cats, or all?

Yeah sorry I read that wrong.. yeah I guess I’ll question Domestic cats first.

1 hour ago, SilverTheNicheling said:

Yeah sorry I read that wrong.. yeah I guess I’ll question Domestic cats first.

Domestic cats aren't monogamous. When a female is in heat, the toms who want to mate with her will fight, and the winner has the right to mate with the female, though the female will reject him at first (then accept him). The female can even be impregnated several times during her heat by different males and produce a litter of kittens that have different fathers. Anyways, really any toms around during the female's heat can come and mate with her. Is there anything else you'd like to know?

Domestic cats aren't monogamous. When a female is in heat, the toms who want to mate with her will fight, and the winner has the right to mate with the female, though the female will reject him at first (then accept him). The female can even be impregnated several times during her heat by different males and produce a litter of kittens that have different fathers. Anyways, really any toms around during the female's heat can come and mate with her. Is there anything else you'd like to know?

@Skysplash8 change mwee profile pic! plz

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Paw up 1

Guest SilverTheNicheling

Oh great info I love it! And yeah I do, would the male stick around with the female after mating? I heard though the male doesn’t care much for the cubs.. it’s one of the sad things about cats that are my favorite animals, they don’t romance for long or even help the female care for kits.

1 hour ago, SilverTheNicheling said:

Oh great info I love it! And yeah I do, would the male stick around with the female after mating? I heard though the male doesn’t care much for the cubs.. it’s one of the sad things about cats that are my favorite animals, they don’t romance for long or even help the female care for kits.

It varies. I've seen articles about toms helping out with kittens, while if I look up the question, they say that the toms will only sometimes stick around, but only to keep other males from mating with the female.

• Like 1

Guest SilverTheNicheling
1 minute ago, Skysplash8 said:

It varies. I've seen articles about toms helping out with kittens, while if I look up the question, they say that the toms will only sometimes stick around, but only to keep other males from mating with the female.

Ah I see, I actually like how the father helps out with the kittens! Since they would be domesticated it would probably be a lot different than in the wild.. and the male protecting the female is my favorite too, I think Silver would count on both of these ^^