Stray Fawn Community

Future of Niche?

vespers

Now that the developers have reached all their kickstarter goals, do you think that they will continue with large updates such as the Wings Update or the Jungle Update? Or do you think they will continue to release new material but as DLC since the game is technically finished (as in released as a game rather than early-access)? I do remember reading in an update that they would continue investing in Niche if they sold a certain amount of copies and were able to make up for the money spent. Did they reach that goal? What do you guys think? :)

Sorry if this isn't the right place to post this, I didn't know where to ask. 

• Like 1

I honestly am not sure. I love the idea of more huge updates coming out, even if they are DLC. If they decide to do DLC I would totally buy it. Hopefully with the new wings update more people will buy the game, seeing as the developers put so much time and effort to make us happy and to make an actually great and unique game.

• Like 2

A big point of having this forum and the feature requests in the first place is to have an easy way to see which features people would like in future updates and want to implement, so I doubt this is that last update ever. That being said it is probably the last huge one we will see.

• Like 2

I think they'll continue making new updates as long as Niche remains profitable. They've done three giveaways in succession, so I imagine the game isn't doing too badly in the money department. I even doubt this is the last huge update as we have staff coming by pretty frequently to support our suggestions or tell them why they can't be implemented.

Now for the dreaded acronym: DLC. I absolutely hate it. The Niche devs haven't fallen into the trap of leaving out content that should've been in the game to begin with, but I worry suggesting it may go down that road. It's - unfortunately - a smart business decision, and younger gamers don't know the difference compared to now and how things were before, (meaning they'll buy DLC content regardless) but it's a slippery slope that makes me nervous.

I feel like raising the price of the game for future buyers is more fair, but I know money talks louder than anything, so I suppose we'll just have to wait and see.

• Like 3

The devs actually reached the goal of selling enough copies pretty quickly after Niches full release and they said they'll do another community voting in late 2018 so we'll have at least one update ahead of us (which I am really looking forward too). How Niche will be developed furthermore remains to be seen as they are working on Nimbatus as well and I can imagine they'll focus more on that for  a while as it is still in early acess if I recall correctly :)

About DLC I don't mind DLC's if they are worth the money, which is of course hard to determine but that is my point of view. However if there are a lot of DLC that all cost a lot (yes I am looking at you Sims) then I do mind.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hey folks :)
We are currently working on Niche 1 day per week with 4 people.
The game is currently profitable for us, even though it's not making a ton of money. 
I think money-wise this will stay about the same this and maybe even next year.
As mentioned, we will do one more big update this year. 
I don't know about next year yet. It very much depends on how things go for us as a company. We'll keep you up to date!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

On 5.5.2018 at 4:17 PM, Jojo said:

The devs actually reached the goal of selling enough copies pretty quickly after Niches full release and they said they'll do another community voting in late 2018 so we'll have at least one update ahead of us (which I am really looking forward too). How Niche will be developed furthermore remains to be seen as they are working on Nimbatus as well and I can imagine they'll focus more on that for  a while as it is still in early acess if I recall correctly :)

About DLC I don't mind DLC's if they are worth the money, which is of course hard to determine but that is my point of view. However if there are a lot of DLC that all cost a lot (yes I am looking at you Sims) then I do mind.

Meadow is so cheap of a game that it's DLC's cost more than it xD

• Haha 1