Stray Fawn Community

rogue males kill baby nichelings

kakapo123

Another negative suggestion, but I find that while the rogue males can be annoying they're not that big of an issue. Other than the crippled paws and kind of ugly derp snout they don't have too bad genes, they actually have really good fertility. As well as this, many male animals in real life will take any chance they get to kill babies that don't belong to them so that they can have a chance to pass on their own genes. Rogue males (only on hard/killer islands) would kill any babies left undefended. They would either go right up to any baby whether theres an aduly there or not and only back off if attacked by an another nicheling, or would only kill babies left on their own like the bluebirds

Edited by BirdsAreCool
changed it to say the only appear on hard islands

24 replies to this post

Unlike probably everyone else, I think this would be awesome. Except for the fact that they might kill their own children. Maybe they don't kill the babies if they're their own, and instead protect them (so bluebirds and other rogue males don't kill them)? That would be cute :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

NO SLARM WOULD'T DO THIS!

I don't like killing rogues.

If there was a niche hard mode, which could actually be good, this could be a part of it!

2 minutes ago, Lilytuft said:

NO SLARM WOULD'T DO THIS!

I don't like killing rogues.

If there was a niche hard mode, which could actually be good, this could be a part of it!

I actually just changed it to say that they'd only appear on hard/killer mode islands

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Skysplash8 said:

Unlike probably everyone else, I think this would be awesome. Except for the fact that they might kill their own children. Maybe they don't kill the babies if they're their own, and instead protect them (so bluebirds and other rogue males don't kill them)? That would be cute :D

Yeah, they would probably be able to tell if the babies theirs or not so they don't kill their own babies xD

I know, but it is supposed to mirror genetics in semi-realism. A part of that is artificial selection, but I wouldn't add it anyway in a game also marketed to children. Not exactly profitable, no matter your stance on moral concerns, the studio needs to make a living.

At this point in Niche, everyone can only think of things that hurt your Nichelings. What about new biomes? New ways to genes aside from wanderers? Special genes that really don't make sense? Goat head? Hooves? Stub tails? I could think of so much that isn't related to the Nichelings getting hurt. A way to tame rogue males into your tribe? Anything magical isn't really bad. Remember whale island? That's a whale. That your Nichelings live on. Now isn't that magical? I just wish everything wasn't about your Nichelings getting hurt and just things being realistic. Isn't Niche supposed to be where you get away from life and problems and just life the real world and agony? Aren't all games supposed to do that? Niche is one of those relaxing games, aren't they? Or is it about dying and suffering in a climate because your last child died by a rogue male? I can't get the grasp of why this should be added. Niche, in my mind, is about surviving and being calm while doing it. And saying this, makes me realize it doesn't do that anymore. Also, please don't take this seriously. I'm tired. I just wasted my time writing this and killing myself in the process.  I should probably not post this. 

• Like 2

I'm not fully sure why you believe that everyone is looking for harmful ways. I get that it might hold true-ish for the sample size in discussion and feedback, but these are players with enough hours in that a challenge is welcome. The most popular suggestions are pretty harmless, if you sort the list by votes. These are likely to be a better mirrior of the overall community, and it wants new designs.

I guess we have a different opinion on seriousness? I'm really not sure what to say, but please don't worry about suggestions that seem overkill. They're usually very unpopular, so the community doesn't like harshness. I think some of the most downvotes I've seen were on cancer and abortions, so anything even related to dying baby nichelings and unpredictable death is one big no-no.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, RandomWanderer said:

I guess we have a different opinion on seriousness? I'm really not sure what to say, but please don't worry about suggestions that seem overkill. They're usually very unpopular, so the community doesn't like harshness. I think some of the most downvotes I've seen were on cancer and abortions, so anything even related to dying baby nichelings and unpredictable death is one big no-no.

The most downvoted suggestion I have seen was "With gills you cant breath on land" lol

• Like 1

Just now, RandomWanderer said:

To be honest, the voting system never stops to surprise me. Free download might be Nr. -1 by today, though. Somehow...

Oh I forgot about the free download one!

Tbh I rarely downvote a suggestion because I'm afraid to hurt other's feelings! To me, it's not like if I downvote it then it won't be implemented.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Renio2490 said:

At this point in Niche, everyone can only think of things that hurt your Nichelings. What about new biomes? New ways to genes aside from wanderers? Special genes that really don't make sense? Goat head? Hooves? Stub tails? I could think of so much that isn't related to the Nichelings getting hurt. A way to tame rogue males into your tribe? Anything magical isn't really bad. Remember whale island? That's a whale. That your Nichelings live on. Now isn't that magical? I just wish everything wasn't about your Nichelings getting hurt and just things being realistic. Isn't Niche supposed to be where you get away from life and problems and just life the real world and agony? Aren't all games supposed to do that? Niche is one of those relaxing games, aren't they? Or is it about dying and suffering in a climate because your last child died by a rogue male? I can't get the grasp of why this should be added. Niche, in my mind, is about surviving and being calm while doing it. And saying this, makes me realize it doesn't do that anymore. Also, please don't take this seriously. I'm tired. I just wasted my time writing this and killing myself in the process.  I should probably not post this. 

Does that mean you support my Unicorn Horn suggestion?? YAY

1 hour ago, Renio2490 said:

Most suggestions have nothing to do with nichelings getting hurt lol. There are far more suggestions for new genes and stuff like that. And while lots of new genes are cool, the game would probably get boring without the odd 'violent' suggestion. I get if that sort of thing isn't your cup of tea,but if that's the case then can't you just stick to some easier islands where theres less stuff to worry about killing your nichelings? A lot of people would lose interest in the game pretty quickly with nothing to make the game more challenging 

Also, in response to your first comment, rogue males aren't meant to be goofy, they're meant to cause problems and add challenge to the game

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, RandomWanderer said:

I agree that most of the more violent suggestions have plenty of downvotes, but arent there ones for being able to kill baby nichelings and cannibalize wanderers/rogue males with a decent few votes ?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, BirdsAreCool said:

I agree that most of the more violent suggestions have plenty of downvotes, but arent there ones for being able to kill baby nichelings and cannibalize wanderers/rogue males with a decent few votes ?

I don't know. The last time I saw them, they were in the negatives, but they may well not be today. Still, my frame of reference is about the first two pages of most voted, which aren't too violent and most likely to be implemented. I personally like darker themes and challenge, but I can see why others wouldn't. 

Edit: I checked again and one did rise to page 2 with 49 votes.

BUT SLARM! I mean some and rude trouble makers. But it all depends on how people make them! Niche is your own story! Also, I didn't mean anything I said. I SAID DON'T TAKE IT SERIOUSLY. And by that I mean don't believe anything I just said.

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, Renio2490 said:

NO. JUST NO. YOUR NOT GETTING THIS INTO THE GAME. OR I WILL NEVER PLAY NICHE ON THE VERSION THAT HAVE THIS. ROGUE MALES ARE SUPPOSED TO BE GOOFY AND SUCH. IF THIS HAPPENS, ROLE-PLAYING IS DEAD. 

There's a option in sandbox mode to turn off rouge males...

3 minutes ago, Renio2490 said:

Yes, but what if I have no males and only females no wanderers? WHO'S GONNA SAVE ME?

You'd still be able to breed with rogue males if you wanted. All this would do is make it so that on hard/killer mode islands the rogue males would kill babies that aren't theirs