Stray Fawn Community

Tips for braces?

Goggles-kun

9 minutes ago, Goggles-kun said:

Got my braces today. So far, I haven’t experienced the soreness, but I am expecting it. Got any tips? Foods I can eat? Foods I shouldn’t eat? I appreciate all the help. Thanks

Eat ice cream. Don’t question it

• Like 2

If your hygiene improves or drops, you might be left with lines when they come off. That's why people say you shouldn't eat too many sweets or go after softdrinks. Wasn't an issue for me, but you might want to keep it in mind. 

Grinding teeth was an issue, though. While asleep, your teeth might get deep 'scars' from an already damaging habit. In that case, be sure to always keep an eye out for abnormalities, as you'll be much more vulnerable to tooth decay. 

If you get a headache (they're rare but serious), always take some Ibuprofen or pain medication as soon as possible. Pain relief is much less effective after the onset.

To the disgusting part... again, I'm a toothgrinder. It's not just my teeth that were scared, but also the checks. Apply Nivea or something else to your lips at night. If you didn't and your lips are a split mess, cut torn skin off with a scissor. They'll look better, feel better and heal faster. 

You might want to take up flossing if you ever had a cavity. I have strong teeth, so it wasn't necessary. Still, you're better save than sorry. Don't overdo it though, or try it at all if your gums are sensitive. I know that some doctors recommend it especially in that case, but it was an absolute nightmare and waste of time. 11/10 would not floss again.

Aside from that, you might want to read up on different forms of tooth detoriation. It helps if you understand the process and information is readily available. However, getting stuff stuck in your braces is quite uncomfortable, so I doubt you'll slack off on hygiene. Still, getting things stuck isn't that easy to accomplish and it's usually easy to remove. So don't worry about food.

Ah - one thing, though. Since someone recommended ice cream. I had headaches rarely, but overall sensitivity is increased. You'll only notice when they come off.... but there were days when I couldn't even drink cold water. You can guess what that means for even colder stuff... so you propably really will want to eat it while you can. It only gets worse over the months and with bigger wires. 

• Like 2

I will know your pain soon, my teeth are so messed up (one is literally SIDEWAYS) that my dentist's only hope is to wait until all my baby teeth fall out, randomly pull out a few of my adult teeth, give me braces and hope to dear god the remaining teeth might just magically fall into place 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, heyitsgeorgie said:

I will know your pain soon, my teeth are so messed up (one is literally SIDEWAYS) that my dentist's only hope is to wait until all my baby teeth fall out, randomly pull out a few of my adult teeth, give me braces and hope to dear god the remaining teeth might just magically fall into place 

My mother had the worst form of teeth missalignment possible. That's not hyperbole. Literally. the. most.messed up. form. Her teeth are perfectly straight today, but they did pull some molars. So there's hope at least...

• Like 1

( I’ve had 7 teeth pulled in my life but all baby teeth thankfully and I have braces because my teeth were bad my canine teeth were so out of line.)

• Like 1

One of my canines also had to be pulled at some point. It couldn't fall out and needed deep surgery. Now I'm missing a good chunk of gums and need religious toothcare. You're better off with an ugly tooth than whatever shit they might inflict in the process at times. My mother always regretted that they filed her teeth into shape. She had some pretty vampiric canines. They're normal now, but she's stuck with absurd sensitivity to the cold.

201904177913411951658295353.thumb.jpg.ca7d59290f486487c8c94a5b8f5539e7.jpg

201904179083062762464956789.thumb.jpg.a9dd8bcbbea5e387a1c8aa9d9086385f.jpg

So "pretty" now.  Already had to get treatment at 18 because the tooth has been weakened. Don't let them mess up your body with unnecessary steps. Looks aren't everything. On the bright side, I now have a pretty neat trick to instantly disgust people with an exposed tooth. Yay.

• Like 1

I wear braces. :/ It’s been a year or so...

my mouth was pretty messed up, I am even missing some adult teeth which caused the rest of my mouth to get screwed up...

Be careful with chips/crackers, if the wires aren’t thick enough they can break when you bite crackers and it’s really annoying. Good luck

• Like 1

Reading all this makes me ridiculously happy that I don't need braces. (I could get some because my teeth are a little crooked (re but that is a small thing not necessary and I don't care)

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Jojo said:

Reading all this makes me ridiculously happy that I don't need braces. (I could get some because my teeth are a little crooked (re but that is a small thing not necessary and I don't care)

Yea I had a gap at the end of third grade when they took my braces off and it was great not to have the metal scratching you 247 and then I got them put back on the same day that the game cattails came out so my mom got me it afterwards because I was a good child! :) 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, TheAlbinoNightfury said:

I'm Worried I'm gonna have to get braces when I'l older. I probably would have then now if my teeth didn't take so long to fall out. I'm in grade 9 and i still have tons of my baby teeth.... I'm not sure if that's good or bad?

That's good because that means your main teeth will remain better for longer :)

• Like 1