Stray Fawn Community

Heatstroke

PopsicleNinja

Okay, so cold weather can kill a nicheling, but heat can't? Makes sense. I think it's OP that hot weather is less dangerous than cold weather.

I think that heatstroke should function the same as freezing. This is just a thought I had, feel free to provide in-depth feedback.

• Like 4

13 replies to this post

I agree that this would be a realistic addition to the game. I also like @ChasingNyx 's idea for a reviving rain. Another possible way to cool off I thought of is that, if you're in the oasis, perhaps a nichling could carry water from the sea or oasis somehow to restore the nichling that has heatstroke. Perhaps they could do so with a gene like water paw, since the webbing between the fingers has to be waterproof to allow them to get extra swimming, so they could theoretically carry some water with their water paw to revive a nichling from heatstroke. Perhaps a similar idea can be introduced into the burning savannah - perhaps the devs could add a watering hole, like a small puddle or spring a bit like the hot springs in the mountains, into the savannah, and nichlings could use this water to revive nichlings that have heatstroke. Perhaps, they could even use a similar tactic to put out fires when they are small. To me, this sounds fair because, in the burning savannah, water paw is otherwise useless, so having it in your savannah tribe for this purpose would be a disadvantage unless nichlings get heatstroke or a fire starts.

• Like 1

I love the idea! But, here's a problem this idea faces. How would you cool down your nicheling? If its a heatstroke, you need to be cool, but how could you do that?  Would you breathe on them like a fan? Would you have to implement some sort of carrying feature, to carry them to water or under a savannah tree? Or here's a possible idea: I think sometimes, don't specifically remember, but doesn't it sometimes rain in savannahs? If it does, here's an idea. Reviving rain. Any nicheling suffering from heatstroke will be revived from it after a rain, giving them 1 energy to get somewhere. Or, a nicheling that isn't under some form of protection will get wet, an effect that lasts for a 1-3 days. While this effect is active, the nichelings with it can go to a nicheling with heatstroke and cool them with the water or just shake it off themselves.

• Like 6

I'm a little late to the party, but a way that animals in the wild cool themselves down is by licking themselves and each other, coating themselves with a thin layer of saliva. The saliva acts as a coolant and keeps the heat to a minimum.

So basically if one of your creatures is suffering heat stroke, you can use another creature to go over and lick the other one for them to cool down. Then you have either one or two turns to get to a shady area or some water, depending on the island you're on. 

• Like 1

On 7/6/2018 at 3:12 PM, BlazingCorvid said:

I agree that this would be a realistic addition to the game. I also like @ChasingNyx 's idea for a reviving rain. Another possible way to cool off I thought of is that, if you're in the oasis, perhaps a nichling could carry water from the sea or oasis somehow to restore the nichling that has heatstroke. Perhaps they could do so with a gene like water paw, since the webbing between the fingers has to be waterproof to allow them to get extra swimming, so they could theoretically carry some water with their water paw to revive a nichling from heatstroke. Perhaps a similar idea can be introduced into the burning savannah - perhaps the devs could add a watering hole, like a small puddle or spring a bit like the hot springs in the mountains, into the savannah, and nichlings could use this water to revive nichlings that have heatstroke. Perhaps, they could even use a similar tactic to put out fires when they are small. To me, this sounds fair because, in the burning savannah, water paw is otherwise useless, so having it in your savannah tribe for this purpose would be a disadvantage unless nichlings get heatstroke or a fire starts.

I love the watering hole idea! I always thought the savannas looked very bare before they got trees, and I thought it was unfair that there was a surefire way to warm up on the mountain but no cooling down in the savanna.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Veroni said:

Here, hide/fur types could come in (there are two other threads)

Also, big ears or no fur could give heat resisitance. 

Big ears give heat resistance already

53 minutes ago, EverEntropy said:

What about a fantail? This could both cool them passively AND be used to cool down others through a fanning action. Could this be a function of the peacock tail?

Peacock Tails don't fan other creatures irl, though. I wonder if there is a real animal that can use it's tail to cool off?

• Like 2