Stray Fawn Community

perfect genes?

Goggles-kun

So while looking through some of your guy's playthroughs, I noticed some people have called out certain wanderers for having "bad" genes, or genes that don't really suit the environment. I got confused, because the genes to me looked a-okay. So that begs the question! What do you guys consider perfect genes?

For me, it's just genes that make the creature look cool. Now I see why I'm bad at this game

pandamaskimage.png.ca50b119d29e0520f43cdb582c0179de.png

• Like 7
  • Love 1

I'd gladly invite in a blind nicheling with hemophilia and double no paw but I'd use them for exploring or gathering if they can collect and I'd only bring them in if I have a stable supply of food. Additionally, I would restrict them from breeding. If they only have one of the bad genes (eg, just double no paw) then I would not restrict them from breeding: mutation menues exist after all.

My perfect nichelings are healthy, (I can make allowances for inactive short-sightedness or inactive blindness) with big ears for hearing and big nose for smelling since I dislike restrictions on senses. I dislike poison fangs -even though they look attractive- and I would much rather have toxic body to gather poison berries. I don't mind having weak nichelings, though it does come in handy having at least two strength so I have defense against bearyenas. If I have armored body unlocked, I will use that as an alternative to having high strength.

Although a lot of genes are beneficial, I don't really care and if I haven't got my desired genes I'll happily take what I can get.

• Like 3

Perfect genes for me don't exist because I don't like a homogenous looking tribe. So I have a bunch of different looking Nichelings all around and don't mind the occasional webbed feet or yellow fur. Just if anything starts to dominate it gets annoying. Though I do prefer good eyes, high fertility, different immunity genes and no hemophilia

• Like 5

Generally: new desirable trait? If yes, vet for traits requiring mutation (2 bad snouts, double no pattern...) if i expect more than two bad traits being passed on, it's a no. 

Fertility isn't that important. A high stat is a plus, but low ones are easy enough to fix. Same for hemophilia. They almost always produce a very unrealistic, healthy son. Even if they don't, it just doesn't spread.

Frog legs are a hell no. It takes forever, 4 generations forever to remove, once they enter a breeding pair. Scorpion tail is my favourite, mitigating most issues if it passes on well. 

Exceptions are made for high risk high reward pairings. Rougeling passed on all of his water genes. Mom had big body and fishing tail, giving water body automatic dominance. If the first child hadn't been great, there was a very hungry bluebird overhead. 

20190119_024750.thumb.jpg.bc878881303fd97c5a7b8ceb1e1c1929.jpg

20190119_024746.thumb.jpg.94e2d3509cce7b61ccbf6e7057e1fbbd.jpg

As it is, he got the bad fertility and a novel immunity gene. Love him.

• Like 2

My favorite genes are basically Adam’s family’s genes—big body, poison fangs, and runner leg. Also a huge sucker for mask and stripes! I like wings, big nose, antlers, peacock tail and fin tail as well.

I don’t mind yellow (I need to get used to it for the skittles Playthrough) but I don’t like yellow/black or moss brown/black.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bostonlobstah said:

I don’t like yellow/black fur

NicheEmmai.thumb.png.2b974fbdd5b04391d292f691ffb65bcb.png

Emmai has Yellow/Black fur! HOW DARE YOU! EMMAI WILL HUNT YOU DOWN.

I don't like it when everybody is exactly the same, like in my Niche Competition Tribe where everybody is yellow with black pattern. In my original Kikonoko Tribe (tribe of Meringue), a while after Meringue left his mortal body, everybody ended up having antlers, mask, big nose, Bearyena claw or Nimble Fingers or both, and white fur (along with half of them being albino). Luckily I fixed it by breeding in some wanderers  (one of which gave birth to Spliti!), which added in some new colors and different horns.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Skysplash8 said:

NicheEmmai.thumb.png.2b974fbdd5b04391d292f691ffb65bcb.png

Emmai has Yellow/Black fur! HOW DARE YOU! EMMAI WILL HUNT YOU DOWN.

I don't like it when everybody is exactly the same, like in my Niche Competition Tribe where everybody is yellow with black pattern. In my original Kikonoko Tribe (tribe of Meringue), a while after Meringue left his mortal body, everybody ended up having antlers, mask, big nose, Bearyena claw or Nimble Fingers or both, and white fur (along with half of them being albino). Luckily I fixed it by breeding in some wanderers  (one of which gave birth to Spliti!), which added in some new colors and different horns.

Same. I like some variation, especially when they are contained in different 'lines'. 

I don't consider perfect nichelings, I love wanders with spit snout and double no paws. I love pink nichelings.. especially with short snout. Spots with pattern shape A are gorgeous, if it's a romantic love story between a rogue male and the prettiest female in the tribe, so be it!

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I heavily dislike webbed hindlegs and webbed paw. They are incredibly useless and take forever to breed out. Depending on the tribe I either love or hate toxic body. I also absolutely despise gills - they are the ugliest head gene. Generally, any water-related trait is kind of useless, since there just isn't much to do with the water right now.

Also, shortsighted-eyes are a big oof. I adore blind creatures, they all look fantastic, but a shortsighted nicheling is very undesirable.

I like rogue babies, so I have nothing against crippled paws. Bright colours, pretty patterns, anything that isn't the no horns gene and blue, yellow, orange or purple eyes are desirable traits.

Hm

I like mismatching a lot so a nicheling with big ears, big body, peacock tail or scorpion tail, claw, nimble fingers, and mask.

For fertility, I don't mind very fertility, I just want my nichelings to breed.

Immunity I or J with an immunity like A or B

Hmm.... Some examples of what I like is probably Hatred and a few others...

I adore Saber-tooth and Long snout

Regular or blind eyes. 

Antlers, megoloceros, ram, eh

big ears

bearyena claws be hittin different-- but seriously, i'm fine with anything that isn't webbed. Or velvet and runners on the same niche- that physically hurts

I may or may not HATE beaver tail?

I hate most bodies but not as much as toxic body. Favorites are Spiky and Lean.

I love mask, okay with spots, hate most stripes

keep webbed hindlegs away from me and we'll be fine

I don't like most full beige, but they're okay? I love dark red- or the melanism and albinism genes.

nothing to say about eye colours.

I tend to HATE staring at cat face. And duck beak. 
seygf

• 4 months later...

I consider the perfect genes to be whatever is best suited for the area they're in. Savannah creatures should have big ears, lean body, and beige or chestnut brown fur, arctic creatures should have big body, white or red-brown fur, and high attack. Other than that, I'm not picky.

My least favorite genes are ones that don't have any benefits. Hemophilia, low fertility, no horns, mask/no pattern, and deformed paw, though I'm not picky with what nichelings I have.